Sunday, August 23, 2009

Karen's Update

Just wanted to let everyone know that myself, my mom, and my dad made it to Doug and Karen's house. We left Fayetteville, AR around 4 a.m. Saturday and made it to Atlanta around 5 p.m.. We went to church with them this morning and it made me feel good that Karen and Doug have a great spiritual support group here. We will leave the house around 5:30 Monday morning and Karen is scheduled to have her surgery around 9:30 or 10.. The surgery is scheduled to last around two to three hours. Please say a special prayer around this time tomorrow. I will try to keep you updated as often as possible. The surgeon feels comfortable with the area the tumor is located, but there is a major blood vessel around this area. Other than that he feels this will be pretty routine which blows my mind that brain surgery can be "routine". I guess that's why he makes the big bucks. I have a hard time replacing parts in the toilet and this guy is calling brain surgery routine. What a bragger! Ha! He's my hero tomorrow no doubt.


Finally, in response to those of you who have asked how they can help or have offered money, I have opened a donation fund in Karen's name at the Bank of America. I chose this bank because there are some here and some in Georgia for those of you there. Please don't think I'm asking for money. I simply did it in response to those of you who have asked about it. I do know as many of you do, that no one can prepare for the financial burden that any medical condition can present to your family. Even with good insurance! There will be many tanks of gas used for doctors visits and all of the miscellaneous or "little things" that aren't covered by insurance. She will get paid for some of her time off, but not all of it. Again, Karen needs prayers more than anything and we will deal with the bills later. If you are one of the people wanting to donate, you will have to go to your nearest Bank of America and tell them you would like to make a donation to the Karen Means Medical Fund Established in Arkansas. Sorry I could not make this Internet accessible, but the bank will not let you give any info about the account over the internet such as Facebook or My Space. I look forward to hearing from all of you and tell anyone else wanting to know the facts about Karen and the latest. Later!

No comments: